Gloucester – Cumberland Girls Hockey Association fields competitive teams from Novice to Intermediate/Senior. Competitive teams have letters after the age-grouping (e.g. U-11 C, U-13 BB) to indicate the competitive tier. The winter session starts with tryouts in the spring (usually late April). Fees for tryouts are indicated in the Registration section of the website.
Team practices start in late August or early September. Competitive teams play in the Ottawa District Women’s Hockey Association (ODWHA) League, which competes throughout Eastern Ontario. League games begin in late September or early October and extend until early February, after which league play-offs and provincial play-downs begin. League play-offs culminate in a city championship day in late March or early April. The Ontario Women's Hockey Association (OWHA) provincial championships usually take place in Toronto in early-mid April.
Competitive teams are on the ice three to five times per week and may have additional off-ice training sessions.
Registration for the winter session usually opens in the spring. The registration fee for competitive players is outlined in the Registration section. Team members are subject to additional team fees and are expected to seek sponsorship to pay for expenses such as the purchase of extra practice ice, tournament entry fees, team equipment, etc. In addition, competitive teams may be required to purchase additional apparel, such as team jackets, as determined by the coach.
Competitive teams participate in several weekend tournaments, locally and out-of-town. These include games on a Friday and entail 3-6 games over 2-3 days.
- Tryouts take place in the Spring, following the Winter season.
- Note that all players trying out for Tier AA OR A are required to attend the AA/A sessions. As it is a possibility that the GCGH may also select an "A" team from that group.
- All Competitive Stars and Lady Grads goalies must attend the goalie sessions you are assigned.
- This tryout schedule does not commit GCGH to having both a AA and an A team at each Age Group. That will be determined based on numbers, skill, and evaluations.
- Goalies will be split into 3 groups by age
- You will be notified through your TeamSnap Registration.
- All goalies are required to attend these sessions (AA included)